Thursday 11 November 2010

La Jetee

Here's an odd one, compared to the rest of these reviews, but certainly no less worthy.

La Jetee (The Pier or The Jetty) is to all intense and purposes, a short film. The only one I'll review. It is also the strong inspiration for the Terry Gilliam feature, Twelve Monkeys. Created by Chris Marker, this film is shot almost entirely from black 'n' white still images and tell the story of a future lived underground, following a holocaust and the time travel experiments to change the past.

If you've see Gilliam's incarnation you'll see he stayed very near to the original. A true homage rather than a remake in any sense. Shot in 1962, I guess similar to Godzilla in it's message, Marker's film is a statement on life as we know/knew it and the way things are potentially headed. I'm doubtful many have likened Marker's stuff to Godzilla before, I hope I'm the first.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment