Friday 10 September 2010

Care Bears-The Movie

Truly tragic!

I'm not kidding.

Having seen this film (based on the hugely successful TV series) as a child, I felt I might be able to review it based entirely on memory...to my infinite sadness, I could not. As such, I watched it the other day, for the first time in over twenty years and strangely enough, not for only the second time. I seem to remember viewing this monstrosity of a children's film at least three times as a deluded child.

I say watch...view in terror is a much more accurate description and when I say view, I'll be honest, I bearly (bearly, ha haaa) made it past the ten minute mark and then swiftly jumped through scene after scene and onto the delightful end, delightful only because it was the end.

If you have failed to notice the tone of this review then I sentence you to 76 minutes, being tortured by Mickey Rooney and his Care Bear chums.

It's a dire film.

The quick, quick review...here goes...

Care Bears (bears with symbols in their chests-like rainbows that fire out and infect folk), live in the clouds (the kingdom of 'Care-a-lot') and pop down to the land to do good things. Very sweetness and light, then they come across an evil magic book and have to fight.

Bad, bad, baaaaaaaaad!

Budget: $2,000,000
Gross: (dear God how?!) $22,934,662

Fact (not fun): Care Bears II-The New Generation grossed $8,540,346, followed by the third film- Care Bears- Adventure in Wonderland, the forth, Care Bears- Journey to Joke-a-Lot, the fifth- The Care Bear's Big Wish Movie (tag line- 'It's the all new movie you've been waiting for'), the sixth film- Care Bears Oopsy Does It! and the seventh (shot in 2007), Care Bears- Share Bear Shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment